What's the best way to honor a sunny, spunky little one gone to Heaven much too soon? Join us as we bake, skip, squat, color, leapfrog, and simply remember our way through our first Summer without Logan. And watch as I try to answer the question: are there great answers and healing to be found in One Summer of Fun?

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 6 -- Got a little boom in my big truck

Got a little boom in my big truck...

I'm not really crazy. Okay, well, maybe a little bit. But seriously, I defy anyone who's lived a life like mine to not be just a wee bit nutso (at least sometimes). See? I just wrote several lines about absolutely nothing. If that's not nutty in a Seinfeld sort of way, I don't know what is.

Anyway, I don't have a truck so the aforementioned booming is the first line of Country Girl, the music for this year's mother/daughter dance. I've heard that song so many times since January that I sing it in my sleep, in the shower, in the car, in the store, while gardening, everywhere. Sometimes I don't realize I'm singing outloud and only notice when someone looks at me funny. It's recital weekend, so I've already heard it --and danced it-- once today. We're back at it again tonight at 7, and tomorrow at 1 for the last time. I'm of multiple minds about it. I've always felt a jolt of nervousness just before going on stage, but once I'm out there with a few steps safely under my belt, I feel at home. It's always been like that for me. But beyond that, it feels like I'm paying tribute to Logan. The morning he died, we were in dance class and I wanted to quit. But I had a sudden thought: Logan would LOVE this; you have to keep doing it. So we did. Even when it wasn't fun getting up at 7:45 on Saturday morning. So we've now done it once, and I paid tribute to my sunshine with the I Love You gesture.

But it wasn't all about us gals. Isaac and his Rags cohorts had their performance this afternoon. In fact, another mom and I were responsible for their class back stage. Here they are, along with my wonderful helper Abby:

Isaac was a champ. He not only went on stage and did the song and dance, but he had a particularly loud moment that jarred the audience to giggles. He is, after all, Ms. Ti's LOUD singer.

My most bizarre moment of the early afternoon came during the studio owner's speech at the end. The cast was all on stage, sitting and listening (or in the case of the little ones, fidgeting like mad). I felt self-conscious since I was parked right smack in the middle of the stage with the Rags crew and most of the other moms were off to the sides, but my placement became key as the girls in front of me suddenly turned and exclaimed "there's a bee!" After much scooching, I saw it, and tried to shoo it away. Of course, the bee took that as license to fly toward us and it landed on a little girl's shoe. (Thankfully, she didn't notice.) There was more screeching, and I swatted it away. Undeterred, it flew right at me and landed on my collar. I swatted it away yet again, and it landed next to me. (Cue more scooching and muted screeching.) I looked at it, apologized, and then stepped on it. Poor bee. Then I made a little path and kicked it out to the front of the stage. I'm sure the rest of the theater was oblivious, but it was a bit of expected excitement for me. And I'd prefer to NOT have a repeat performance of the feat.

Anyway, we headed outside afterward and met up with Adam and his parents. It's not a great pic, but it'll do:

And... more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment