What's the best way to honor a sunny, spunky little one gone to Heaven much too soon? Join us as we bake, skip, squat, color, leapfrog, and simply remember our way through our first Summer without Logan. And watch as I try to answer the question: are there great answers and healing to be found in One Summer of Fun?

Monday, June 11, 2012

Day One

School came to a close last Friday, so today was the first 'official' day of Summer vacation for our family. It was something of a low-energy day, but I decided we wouldn't couch potato our way through day one. We were all up by 8 or so, and I had everyone get dressed, destination: Target. It's a little silly, but I love Tarjay. There's something nice about it, and I especially love the little Starbucks cafe in the front of the store. We took a cart for a spin with Winnie the Pooh animals in tow, picked up a few items, and checked out. Abby and Isaac asked for Icees, so I complied (sugar overload be darned!), and both selected cherry. Then I popped by the Starbucks for an iced coffee. We settled in at a table off in a corner, where we had our drinks, Brady had a baby food fruit smoothie, and the kids shared a Lunchable.

Later, after I put Brady down for a nap, we began another little project. I prepped some cake batter, dropped it in spoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet, and baked cake-cookies. After they'd cooled, Abby and Isaac made sandwich cookies and decorated them with a variety of sprinkles from my cabinet. (And I have a LOT of sprinkles. Or jimmies, as my Mid-Atlantic mind secretly thinks of them.) Easy, and lots of 'oooh, this is so good!'

I thought of Logan a lot today, not only because today marked four months since he moved on to Heaven, but because we ran into one of his hem/onc nurses at a random store this morning. I miss those people; they were a huge part of my life for 18 months. But in the same breath, it's hard to see them and remember everything that happened. How much we had to endure. How much my sunshine had to endure.

But we're doing the best we can. Tomorrow promises to be a bit more... different. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Have you considered having a 6 month get together at your house. Invite the hospital staff, your friends and family? It may be a good way to find healing.

    ReplyDelete